Thursday, September 2, 2010

News in Brief: Sep 2

I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but all of my documents for getting a residence permit have officially been submitted to the immigration office in Neusiedl. We decided to register myself there instead of Wien because there are far less immigrants and the office is not nearly as busy as one in Wien might have been. Now we'll just be waiting for word back from them that I've been approved. It should take at least a couple weeks.

Last night we saw the movie Babies along with Marlene's sister. It was basically a really long compilation of babies doing cute things. I think you could get the same effect by searching for cute baby clips on youtube.

Marlene cheated on her diet on Sunday. She told me she ate a schnitzel on Sunday when she was with her family. Her friends had a bet going on how long she could last being a vegetarian which I wasn't involved in (I'd have quite an unfair advantage) but I'm not sure who won. I'll look into that and report back.

Yesterday I went to the Deutsch Akademie and took a German proficiency test in order to see which class I'd be placed in if I were to enroll there. I placed into C1 which is advanced (A is beginner, B is intermediate) which is good since that's what I had on my résumé. I was happy to see it hasn't regressed since I left college although I'm sure my grammar knowledge has declined, my speaking and understanding, especially the Austrian dialect, has much improved.

Lastly, I may have found a soccer team to play for. I found them by looking through the Wien city soccer league forums, they had posted that they're looking for players for the upcoming season. I emailed the address and not long later I had a reply inviting me to come to training. The team's called FC Adrenalin and there's a training tonight at 19:30. That meant that today I had to run out quickly to get outdoor soccer shoes. I bought last year's model of the Adidas adiCORE II firm ground shoes which were originally listed at €100, then marked down to €60, then down to €50. Then when I got to the register, they scanned it and only charged me €30, so I think I got a good deal. We'll see how they perform later this evening, if I play badly, I'm definitely blaming the shoes.

3 comments: