Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to School

Marlene and I both started class on Monday. She's back teaching English and I began a month long German course as a refresher before trying to get a real job. My class is pretty interesting. I'm the only guy out of 8 students and everyone is from a different country. There's a Moldovan, Romanian (from Transylvania even!), Czech, Hungarian, Serbian, Indian, Ukrainian, and of course me. Most of the others can already speak English along with their mother tongues so that's a bit annoying to me that everyone is there learning their third language. After I'm completely comfortable with German I think I'd like to go back to learning Spanish. I'm also glad the USA is changing in this respect due to so many Spanish-speaking immigrants. Having American children grow up bilingual is only going to make them more intelligent and give them better job opportunities in the future. It also makes learning a third, fourth, etc. language much easier.

To get back to my school, it's pretty low key. It's just 9-12, Monday-Thursday, for 4 weeks. It's very strange to have homework again after being out college for over 3 years, but I do like it. It's good that I have to work on my German at least a little bit. I try to speak with Marlene as much as I can, but if I can't figure out how to say something after a few seconds, I'll always revert to English.

I had another training session last night FC Adrenalin. Turner left some comments asking if they had a website, which they do: http://www.fc-adrenalin.at/index.php. I'm not sure what league they're in, but all the games are in Vienna. I'm pretty sure they're not in the official Austrian league system, so it's not like they could keep winning promotion and eventually get to the Austrian Bundesliga. They did however win their league and promotion last year.

The other hobby I've just taken up is creating a custom map for the board game Ticket To Ride. I'm working on a custom map using Austria and its neighboring countries. Below is a picture of the work I've done so far. I've got the full size map printed out and a smaller sheet of paper with my plan for the cities and routes.

1 comment:

  1. Ich glaub ich muss euch in Zukunft öfter Besuchen kommen, und dann reden wir Deutsch :-) wann hast du dein nächstes fussballspiel??
    glg

    ReplyDelete