Thursday, August 26, 2010

Waterford Crystal Story

Before the Waterford crystal story, I'll talk about a couple other things. First, on Tuesday I became an official season ticket holder for Austria Wien. There's my season ticket on the right, and a ticket to today's match which is for the Europa League competition.
We need to win by 2 or more goals to advance to the group stage. If that happens we could be drawn into a group with a big team like Man City, Liverpool, or Juventus. We'd play each team in our group twice, both home and away, and I've promised myself that I'll go to one of the away matches. If we don't win by 2 goals today (or tie, or lose) then we're out of the competition and my dreams are shattered.

Marlene is still a vegetarian, she'll be celebrating her 2 week anniversary tomorrow. Her weakest points have been the few times she's seen me eating meatballs which happened on two trips to Ikea and once during a lunch at her parents' house.

During the second trip to Ikea mentioned above, I designed a new desk for myself. They have several options there for table tops and table legs which can mixed and matched. I chose a solid wood top, it's much heavier than their normal wood-looking material, and it has one square end and one rounded end. For the legs there is one circular, metal leg for the rounded side, and a shelf for the squared end which will eventually hold a desktop PC.
Just imagine me sitting on that chair and typing on the laptop at this very moment!

Lastly, we finally received the Waterford crystal stemware that my grandma ordered for us as a wedding gift more than two months ago. My grandma's original hope was that they arrive prior to the wedding and we perform the toast at our reception with them, but unfortunately we hadn't received them in time. The sad part was that we could have if not for a few mistakes and miscommunications. The first error was that Waterford uses UPS for delivery to Austria. They are terrible here. They don't have keys to get into the apartment buildings like the normal Austrian post office, so they can't leave a shipping notice in our mailbox for us. The next error was that Waterford never provided a tracking number after their email informing us that the order was shipped. I asked them for the tracking number last week and when they sent it to us 2 days ago, we were able to figure out what happened and get the package yesterday. After submitting the tracking number to UPS's website, we found the package was marked as delivered on July 16 and had been signed for by PLANK. I ran downstairs to look at the building's doorbells but saw no PLANK listed, though about half of the bells didn't have names, including ours which wouldn't have helped the situation. So we called UPS and they told us it was signed for by the person in room 7 of our building. We went downstairs and left them a note because no one answered the door. A few hours later they called up to us and we got the package! On the delivery address it had room 8 instead of 18 which is ours, so that explained why we hadn't heard anything from our neighbor. Nevertheless, it turned out mostly okay since we did eventually receive it. We got the Dolmen champagne flutes and I did take a few pictures of the unboxing but I need one more pic of Marlene and I toasting before I upload them. Maybe we'll put our wedding attire back on for the picture so that in 50 years we can pretend they did arrive in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment